Thursday 6 November 2014

Welcome to THE HOPE LADDER...

It's hard to know what to write about in your first-ever blog post.  To say it's intimidating is a huge understatement.  Especially when the topic of said blog is about living with depression and anxiety. With the arrival  (and subsequent passing, due to procrastination...) of Mental Illness Awareness week, I made the decision to break my silence and speak out.  I wrote a post on my Facebook friends feed explaining in fairly short terms what I've been going through for many years, and what most of my friends and acquaintances may never have guessed.  


It's only been the last couple of years that I've been testing the waters in speaking about my mental health.  Most of those whom I've chosen to trust with my "secret" have been very understanding, and on more than one occasion, they in turn, have opened up about their own struggles.  The reality is though, there is still incredible STIGMA surrounding mental health, and that makes it challenging to be really open.  I don't think it was until earlier this year, when I found myself approaching completely non-functioning, that I realized just how much shame I felt.  I chose to leave my job, and seek out the help I needed in whatever form it might take.

Before I begin writing posts about my treatment, and how it has affected me thus far, I want to tell you what depression has been like for me, and dispel some common misconceptions. While it's different for everyone, these are some of the symptoms of depression that I noticed: a constant feeling of worthlessness, feeling tired and totally lethargic most of the time, a feeling of intense sadness that I couldn't shake (we're talking from weeks to months), sleeping a lot more and wanting to sleep whenever I could, alternating with insomnia, and not finding any sort of pleasure in things that I was normally interested in or had brought me joy in the past.  I also began having recurring thoughts about death (not surprising, as I lost my mom earlier this year) and for the first time, thoughts of suicide.   That was certainly one of the hardest things to admit out loud, and it absolutely terrified me!   
What depression has felt like at times...
depression quotes - Pinterest

 Like I mentioned previously, there are a LOT of misconceptions about depression, especially when you've never experienced it first-hand.  Some of the things depression is NOT:  Depression is NOT a simple feeling of sadness, grief or feeling blue in reaction to daily life situations.  Depression is NOT a bad mood.  Depression won't just go away, no matter how much we may try to ignore it, and may worsen with the potential for self-harm or ultimately, suicide.   Taking antidepressants without some sort of therapy may not be all that is needed - each of us is unique, as is our brain chemistry, and depression may also be coloured by our past experiences, upbringing, trauma and the like.  

This blog will be a part of my healing...a way to express my feelings, another way to rediscover who I am, a way to understand what I am learning about myself, and maybe someone who may be going through a similar situation will find something useful, or hopeful in what they've read. 

With love,
Rhonda

4 comments:

  1. Oh! Your first comment!! I love it! You are doing fabulous things here and I couldn't be more proud of you! Your Momma is smiling down at you, bursting with pride for her girl!

    I look forward to reading more as you jump the hurdles on your journey through the obstacle course that is life!

    Big hugs to you from us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Means the world that my first comment is from someone who's known me from the beginning. Xo

      Delete
  2. Good luck on your journey, looking forward to reading more. I think it's great that you are sharing your experiences not just for yourself but also for the others it may help or inspire.

    Corine Walliser

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Rhonda! Dispelling myths about depression and sharing your personal experience is so important. Thank you for opening up and sharing your journey with the world. You rock my socks!
    <3 Erin

    ReplyDelete